- Making Lives: Refugee Self-Reliance and Humanitarian Action in Cities
(If you would like to get hold of a hard copy of the book, please write to humanitarianaffairs (at) savethechildren (dot) org (dot) uk).
- ‘A framework for the analysis of refugee self-reliance and humanitarian action in urban markets’.
Other texts linked to the project, produced by, or with contributions from, members of the research team:
- Article by Estella Carpi for the Journal of Refugee Studies (December, 2019): ‘Towards a Neo-cosmetic Humanitarianism: Refugee Self-reliance as a Social-cohesion Regime in Lebanon’s Halba‘.
- Commentary by Estella Carpi on the Halba field study for Enab Baladi magazine (August 2018, in Arabic).
- Article by Estella Carpi and Camillo Boano for Humanitarian Practice Network (March, 2018): ‘Border towns: humanitarian assistance in peri-urban areas’.
- Article by Estella Carpi and Camillo Boano for The Legal Agenda (February, 2018): ‘Humanitarianism in an Urban Lebanese Setting: Missed Opportunities‘.
- Working paper by Anubhav Dutt Tiwari, Jessica Field and Yamini Mookherjee for the International Institute for Environment and Development (December, 2017): ‘Urban refugees in Delhi: Refugee networks, faith and well-being’.
- Article by Jessica Field for The Conversation (10 October, 2017): ‘Refugees in India have to fend for themselves – we’ve been talking to them about how they manage’.
- Article by Estella Carpi for Anthropology News (26 September, 2017): ‘Humanitarian Pedagogies of Transit’.
- Working paper by Maisha Akil Scafe-Smith (1 September, 2017), Between Territory: Constructing the Mediterranean Sea through Europe and the Sahara.
- Working paper by Juan Fernando Usubillaga (1 September, 2017), The Production of Space Through Practices of Self-Reliance: The Spatiality of Refugee Integration in Berlin after the 2015 Refugee Crisis.
- Article by Estella Carpi for OpenDemocracy (14 July, 2017): ‘Supporting refugee livelihoods or host stability? The two sides of the coin’.
- Research brief on refugee self-reliance beyond the marketplace, published by the Refugee Studies Centre, with contributions from Estella Carpi, Jessica Field, Anubhav Dutt Tiwari, and Yamini Mookherjee (13 October, 2017).
- Report by Jessica Field, Anubhav Dutt Tiwari, and Yamini Mookherjee for the International Institute for Environment and Development (October, 2017): ‘Urban refugees in Delhi: Identity, entitlements, and well-being’.
- Policy brief by Jessica Field, Anubhav Dutt Tiwari, and Yamini Mookherjee for the International Institute for Environment and Development (July, 2017): ‘Urban refugees in Delhi: Self-reliance can’t be exclusively entrepreneurial’.
Presentations and contributions to workshops related to the project:
- Workshop at the University of Manchester, organised by the Migration Lab, in partnership with Jindal School of International Affairs and Save the Children’s Humanitarian Affairs Team. Hosted by Jessica Field, with contributions from Yamini Mookherjee, Anubhav Dutt Tiwari, Sophie Dicker, Estella Carpi, and Juliano Fiori (20 June, 2017): ‘Refugee self-reliance in cities? Challenges and opportunities’.
- UCL Humanitarian Summit, organised by the UCL Humanitarian Institute, with a session chaired by Camillo Boano and with contributions from Estella Carpi, Yamini Mookherjee, Jessica Field, and Juliano Fiori (22 June, 2017).
- Research Councils UK conference on protracted conflict, linked to the Global Challenges Relief Fund, with contributions from Juliano Fiori and Estella Carpi (2-3 October, 2017).
- Conference organised by the Asia Research Institute at the National University of Singapore, entitled ‘The Politics of Distribution: Migrant Labour, Development and Religious Aid in Asia‘. Jessica Field presented the paper ‘Supporting refugees to work? Exploring the limitations and possibilities of urban refugee “self-reliance” initiatives in Delhi’ (16-17 November, 2017).
- Workshop at by Jindal School of International Affairs to share findings of the research on refugee self-reliance in Delhi by Jessica Field, Yamini Mookherjee, and Anubhav Dutt Tiwari (30 May, 2017).
- Lunchtime talk at Save the Children UK, presenting finding of the studies on Halba, Delhi, and Thessaloniki, with Jessica Field, Sophie Dicker, Estella Carpi, and Juliano Fiori (23 June, 2017).
- Workshop on refugee self-reliance at the Refugee Studies Centre in Oxford, with participation from Anubhav Dutt Tiwari, Yamini Mookherjee, and Estella Carpi (June, 2017).